Skip to main content

Week 12

Well, that's over....well not quite just yet. It was one of the craziest, most unpredictable regular seasons that I can remember and it sure was a lot of fun. It was a mostly quiet week (go figure) in the FCS landscape as it was more of a week of records and accomplishments than it was intriguing. Now that isn't to say we had some really good games and finishes but at the end of the day things came out a little less exciting than the weeks prior.

Record Setter

It really is a shame that we won't be able to see Samford QB Devlin Hodges in the playoffs. His career ended this past Saturday, and during the 38-27 victory over ETSU, Hodges set the FCS record for passing yards ending his career at 14,584 passing yards. That broke the mark set by the late, great Steve "Air' McNair. Pretty amazing that the record stood for over two decades

"Who wouldn't want to be the all-time passing leader? I'm just really glad I've had a lot of help along the way," Hodges said. "Some great guys have come through here and have helped me be the best I can be."

And while a 7-yard screen pass isn't the grandest way to set the record, it's still one that is amazing when you think about all that it takes to get to a number so high. The passing yards record wasn't all that Hodges set this year. Among the conference records, he also set the FCS mark for both completions (1,310) and attempts (1,896). Some impressive numbers we may not see anyone come close to reaching for a long time

A somber ending

Normally a 10-6 game from two non-playoff teams don't draw much attention but when its the last game of one legendary coach you tend to take a bit more notice. Just under 10,000 people came to see the last game of William & Mary head coach Jimmye Laylock who has spent the last 39 years on the sidelines for the Tribe.

Laylock who played QB for the Tribe under both Marv Levy and Lou Holtz graduated from the school in 1970 and started is head coaching career a decade later. During his tenure, Laylock amassed 249 wins, 10 playoff births, and 5 league titles.

Oddly enough, the Tribe already announced Laylock's replacement...former assistant Mike London

Awards season

As the season ends, the finalists for the FCS awards will start trickling thru and first up are the 15 coaches who are finalists for this year's Eddie Robinson award. The finalists are as follows. And there are some really good candidates from some really good "feel good" seasons from some programs

The 2018 Eddie Robinson Award finalists

  • Brian Bohannon, Kennesaw State 
  • Joe Harasymiak, Maine 
  • Dan Hawkins, UC Davis
  • Roger Hughes, Stetson 
  • Dan Hunt, Colgate 
  • Chris Klieman, North Dakota State 
  • Dale Lindsey, San Diego 
  • Curt Mallory, Indiana State 
  • Tom Matukewicz, Southeast Missouri 
  • Fred McNair, Alcorn State
  • Eric Morris, UIW 
  • Randy Sanders, ETSU 
  • Jerry Schmitt, Duquesne 
  • Bob Surace, Princeton 
  • Sam Washington, North Carolina A&T 


Voting for the other awards has started but we won't know the finalist for them until later during the playoffs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quarterfinal Predictions

Not gonna lie I probably should have done this for the entire playoffs but I had been on the fence about doing something like this. We will see how this goes and if I actually get this out before the first game which is in about 3 hours. Maybe if I get the first one out I'll post then update as I go along. But anyways onto the predictions. NO scores or anything like that just what I'm looking out for and who is gonna come out on top. There are some very interesting matchups for the Quarterfinals as only one is really considered a mismatch, and that is only because its NDSU in the FargoDome. Outside of that these are very evenly matched teams who in one case mirror one other so closely. As talked about in the last post, home teams so far in the playoffs are 15-1 and most of the games haven't been close. I will say this, I have at least one road team winning this weekend Onto the picks: No. 7 seed Maine (9-3) at No. 2 seed Weber State (10-2) Kickoff - 8 p.m. ET    Co...

Semi-Final Predictions

Needless to say, the matchups this week are really good. You don't get to the point as a team just by sheer luck, you gotta have some talent behind you and all four of these teams have talent. Both games are a toss-up and you almost wish they were played on a neutral site but even then I have no doubt that we are gonna have two really good games between teams that are pretty evenly matched. I went 3-1 last week last week though I should have pulled the trigger on Maine, but don't hold it against me. Looking around at a few of the other FCS publications I've seen all four teams picked at a decent spread and all four have arguments for being in the national championship. I do think we will see an unexpected matchup in the national championship a couple weeks from now. No. 7 Maine (10-3) at No. 3 Eastern Washington (11-2) Kickoff - 2 p.m. ET    Coverage - ESPN2 Series - First meeting Matchups like this are awesome...it puts two teams that might play ...
Well here we are...the final four in this year's FCS playoffs are set. And when you look at the four teams, its not a bad collection of programs. We have the "juggernaut" in NDSU, the "steady contender" in E. Washington, the "little brother" in SDSU, and we have the "surprise that shouldn't be one when you see them play" in Maine. We have the top three conferences represented, which isn't a huge surprise. We are also guaranteed that for the eighth straight year an MVFC team will be in the championship game and we also know that for the 11th straight year, the national champion will come from one of these three conferences. The last school to win a national championship that wasn't from the MVFC, Big Sky, or CAA? Appalachian State, the last of that three-peat in 2007. And naturally the beat Deleware, a CAA school in the national championship. Here is a look back at the quarterfinals:  No. 7 Maine 23 - No. 2 Weber State 18 ...